Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Random Thought

At first this just seemed like a phase I was going through. It was such a random thought I assumed I would eventually forget it and how weird it was.

But this once random day-dream has now become an intriguing little thought.

Sometimes I think...what if I had a tail. Not like a little yorkie nub, or a long straight labrador tail. I mean like a long pelted tail like a lion or a tiger. In my mind, it is silver gray and it reaches all the way past the top of my head. I imagine a lot of people have tails, but not everybody. Being born with a tail is often genetic, but sometimes its random. Having a tail is similar to being red-headed. Only a relatively small percent of the population is with tail. A lot of people think having a tail makes you attractive. Someone even created an artificial tail prosthesis. Some people have dog-like tails, some people have feline-like tails such as mine. The feline tail is highly desirable because it is more flexible, though not as strong as the dog-like tail. My tail got injured a few times. Once playing football it was almost broken by being stepped on. Another time my tail was sprained when Noelle tried to swing from it as I was sitting on the porch at the lake.

Isn't that strange? In my head there is an entire race of humans with tails.

The more I think about this, the more I realize how applicable this is to social science. As a human, without a tail, I often find myself desiring to look like someone else. I want to be thin, I want to be muscular, I want to be taller, I want to have a better nose, red-less ears, thicker hair. Call me superficial, shallow, whatever. But honestly, when you imagine yourself in your dreams do you look exactly like you look in real life? I know I don't.

In my mind, everybody wants to have a tail. No matter how impractical or ridiculous it is, everybody wants a tail.

Interesting fact, I've never seen cats. Which is not exactly relevant because Cats is a story where humans play cats that have human-like qualities. Whereas, in my mind we are humans who have cat/dog like qualities.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Ok I have to give you some major imagination props on this one. I've never imagined myself with a tail and the fact that Noelle was swinging from your tail at the lake is priceless - for one, it probably would happen if you had a tail.

Personally, I don't want anything protruding from my already very noticable behind. No thanks... but... if I could carry around a "fat cloaking" device - I would be game for that one.

zaner said...

I know this post isn't for everybody. It is honestly just this thought that keeps coming into my head. Like if I had a tail what would I be doing with it right now. Would it be dangling on the floor. Would it be curled around my waist. Anyway, I could see a market for a fat cloaking device. LOL

Unknown said...

this made me laugh wayyyy too loudly in a very public place.

and then I had to read it again...because I'm thinking you may be serious.

:) Lol...wow. You crack me up.

Personally, I do not believe I would enjoy having a tail...it would make wearing pants very incomfotable and skirts and dresses would never lay flat...I don't believe I would handle that very well.

zaner said...

In my mind, people with tails wear special clothes that have holes in them where the tail comes out. So you wear regular looking clothes, just with a hole you know. And you can wear regular clothes without a hole, but you kinda wrap your tail around your leg or waist.

Steph said...

OK, this made me think, what if we had a kangaroo tail, where when we got tired we could just lean back on it and rest, or a monkey tail, when we need another hand, there it is right "behind" us, just a thought, if we had a dog tail, everyone would know our mood, down if we're sad and waggin away if we're happy, although the thought of a cat tail made me think, if I had one right now I would have it wrapped around my neck, because it is freakin cold in this office and it could keep me warm! I enjoyed your random thought! :o)

LeAlan Carter Jr. said...

Seems like a tail would be a hinderance when your wiping your butt. Or would you just lick it like Gabriel does?